Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon

Good Morning, I would like to know why my cat does not drink

Good Morning,
I would like to know why my cat does not drink water from it's own water bowl. I clean it daily, but stil he wants to search the water someplace else eg: overflow, water feature, glass,bason. He also cries and wants to be let out during the night on a consistant basis and then be let inside after less than an hour.
If i ignore him, he will scratch at the door and his cries become louder till i open for him which is impacting my sleep. I do not want to leave any window open for security purposes?
Can you possibly advise?

I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.

This is very normal behaviour for a cat, most cats will not drink from their water bowl and prefer more awkward water sources (my cat drinks form the shower). It is part of their normal behaviour to be like this.

Ways around this are to trial different methods of supplying water to see what works best for both Dexter and you.

You could consider a water fountain or a tap slowly dripping, cats often prefer moving water.
Also a pint glass filled to the top or half filled often seems to appeal to them.
Some cats prefer filtered water too so you could also try this.
You can also try adding water to his food if you are concerned about water consumption.

I am sure he is managing to find enough water, many owners never see their cats drink as they get water from puddles outside.

Certainly its nothing to worry about.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Good luck

Dr Dan Makin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Have you perhaps got a suggestion to the crying part in my original mail where Dexter wants to go out and come back in the house on a continuous basis? I try to ignore him, but the cries just become louder.

Sorry I missed that bit :)

This is a tricky one but it may well be behavioural. Cats need to go through the process of hunting and stalking 40 times a day.
So you could try stimulating him through the day to lessen the possible urge to hunt. This can include hiding small bits of food in the house (hide them well) so he has to challenge himself to stalk and find them. Also lengthening the string on a stick toy so he doesn't see you flicking it and thinks it is hunting not playing.

There are some free standing laser pen type toys which don't need human input that can entertain and stimulate for a while.

You could consider appeasing pheromones such as Feliway ( these can settle and reduce any anxieties in cats. It plugs in and secretes an odour we can't smell.

Also make sure the litter tray is clean before bed.

Good luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan,
Thank you for this, i will certainly try.
Another thing I would like to know is how I will know if my cat has worms?
I have tried to give him deworming tablets in his wet food, but he just
refuses to eat the food even if i try and hide it.

Hi Maria,

It is often presumed a cat has worms. Unless they have huge burdens the worms remain un seen in the faeces. Worm burdens can cause weight loss despite a good appetite as well.

Ideally, preventative worming treatment should be given every 3 months.

This can be done as a powder, tablet or syrup.

One way to get a tablet in or the powder maybe as well. Is to crush the tablet to a fine powder and mix with a small amount of butter. Take this butter-tablet paste and paint it on the cats front leg. The cat likes butter but also doesn't like being 'dirty' so will usually like it off.

You may also get from your vets a liquid spot on treatment hat does fleas and worms, Here it is called Advocate and is applied to the skin on the back of the neck every 4 weeks. It doesn't treat tapeworms though so a tablet/liquid would still be needed for this.

Good luck