Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004 , also involved in working with animal rescue groups.
23926829

Hello. My daughters hamster is acting very lathargic, walking

Hello.
My daughter's hamster is acting very lathargic, walking weird, with labored breathing. It is also bleeding from its bottom. It also looks like she's having trouble keeping her eyes open. The only thing different we have given her is a new treat called Hamsteroids. Please help.. My daughter is so upset & I can't get it to a vet because I have no way of getting there.
Thank You so much!

Dr. Jenn :

HI there

Dr. Jenn :

This sounds pretty serious and the hamster really needs to see a vet! In the meantime, you can try giving a 50/50 of pedialyte/water solution drop by drop slowly to keep the baby hydrated and help raise its blood sugar. YOu can also try keeping the baby on a covered heat pad on low. Try to offer its regular fod as well--the sooner she gets to a vet the better!! Good luck

Dr. Jenn :

A Positive RATING with an EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS is appreciated as this is how I know you have received the information and that I receive credit for my time.

Please reply using the CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION button if more information is needed at any time.

Please ONLY rate my answer when you are completely satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and REPLY to me using the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with further concerns. I will then be able to continue further and provide you with the information you need.

Customer:

Thank you for your reply..

Customer:

I can not get the hamster to the vet because i have no way of getting there? what do you think is wrong?

Customer:

it will not eat or drink.. i tried giving it water..

Dr. Jenn :

It could be serious GI upset-which the blood could be from an upset GI tract--not eat/drinking will lead to life threatening dehydration --hopefully you can get a ride to the vet soon!! THe pedialyte will help some but your baby will need further treatment!

Customer:

Ok. Do you think from the treats? they are made of ground seashell & limestone. They're made for hamsters, but like I said, it's the only thing that she ate differeIntly recently.. If not, what would likely be the cause of this? I hope to get her to a vet, too!

Dr. Jenn :

It could be from the treats as they are new to her--even though for hamsters they may not have agreed with her tummy!

Customer:

ok.. What else would cause this if it's not the treats?

Dr. Jenn :

She could have something more serious like cancer or even intestinal parasites, once she sees a vet and gets examined we will have a better idea of what we are dealing with.

Customer:

ok.. thank you very much for your time.

Dr. Jenn :

I hope she feels better!

Customer:

us too.. thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizzie. How is everything going?

Dr. Jenn