CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Hi My 3 month old border collie had a knee injury while running.

Hi
My 3 month old border collie had a knee injury while running. The xray shows that her right knee cartilage is broken. I saw the rupture from the bone and also a small perpendicular fracture. I am very concern about the next best step to take. What is most recommendable for this baby to heal 100% and his leg mange to keep up with the high rate of growth she is experiencing.
Please send me a reply. Thanks a lot. I am very upset about my baby.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

1) Was this x-ray reviewed by a specialist, a radiologist?

2) Cartilage is typically not visible on an x-ray (which is why a MRI is commonly performed in people - how was the cartilage damage dianosed)?

3) What bone is fractured?

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

My vet just called me saying that it is the growth cartilage affected. He is proposing to have surgery. He will fixate the cartilage in place with needles for some weeks. The idea is to have the cartilage back together and in place.

No bone is broken. I am reffering to the top part of the tibia we the growth occurs.

Please advice on your recomendation for treatment.

First - the recommendation is to have a specialist perform this procedure.

This should be evaluated and treated by a board certified veterinary orthopedic surgeon.

Your veterinarian can refer you, or you can use this LINK HERE to find one in your area.

These are veterinarians that went through veterinary school, and then did not only at least 1 year of an internship, but then did a 3 year residency ONLY focusing on this speciality to best diagnose and treat conditions such as this.

Why? If the growth plate and cartilage are affected, the wrong pinning can result in further damage to the growth plate.

There are times when there is a tibial tuberosity avulsion that needs pinning, but if you want the best option - it is to see a specialist for this procedure.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Firstly,

The x ray was seen and diagnosed by a professional certified vet radiologist.

sencondly,

the veterinarian I am consulting locally is a certified vet surgeon specialized in knees.

Thridly,

I am contacting you people, because I want a second opinion based on your experience. My main concern is her shor age! I want to prevent permanent damage such as a ever limping dog or a shorter leg resulting from growth cartilage damage.

Please elaborate a little more. Try to answer ditating a prognosis and a solution on what you would do as a vet surgeon in this case.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

When I asked those 2 questions above (radiologist and surgeon) you did not reply with that detailed information - I am glad to hear it.

If there is bone and cartilage damage - yes, often this is repaired surgically and then often they have a bandage / splint placed for at least 2-3 days for compression and for stabilization.

Especially if there is cartilage / growth plate damage this should be stabilized with as minimal trauma as possible to prevent limb growth deformities.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Hi Sebastian,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gala. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet