Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Sunday morning my dog vomited the food from Saturday, at first

Sunday morning my dog vomited the food from Saturday, at first I thought it was normal so I cleaned it up and I was playing with him like everyday, he seems normal. At night I got home and he was sad but not crying, he didn't want to eat, I offer him chicken with rice and nothing. Well I waited till this morning and gave him the chicken and rice and he finally decided to eat. He poop but diarrhea but that is normal because when I change the food or gave him food that is not from his everyday he poop diarrhea, because of his sensitive stomach. I was worried about a stomach obstruction but he is peeing and pooping so I believe is not that. He still looks like sad, but he walks, he barks, his eyes are bright, he is alert and his nose is cold.

German Shepherd
1 Year Old
His food is natural I believe is NUTRO

I was touching his stomach to see if he was in pain but he is not apparently, I mean I don't know but he didn't do anything when I was touching in certain areas of his stomach.

Anyways my question is should I take him to a veterinary ? He is not vomiting anymore, and I don't have a lot of money to take him to a veterinary if I have to. =/

Good afternoon and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

With an obstruction, the vomiting would continue and Rex would not eat. It is most likely a digestive disturbance and this will respond to a fast for 24 hrs to allow his digestive tract to calm down and heal. If eh still has diarrhea, give him Immodium AD at 1 caplet per 30 pounds of his weight every 8 hrs. After the fast , feed the meal of rice and boiled chicken. If he is feeling getter, wean him back to his normal meal.

If Rex continues to vomit during the fast, this could indicate an obstruction and you will need to see your vet right away.

Does that make sense to you?

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX