CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

i have a small dog 12 yrs old who has become very nervous not

Customer Question

i have a small dog 12 yrs old who has become very nervous not as much during the day but at night. he sleeps upstairs but during the night wants to come on my bed, he still dosent settle and keeps shaking ive tried letting him out for a pee just in case but this hasent helped keeps shaking and tries to get on the pillow with me. Not getting much sleep!!!! Sheila aged 75
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sheila - Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

When did this start?

Have you noticed other changes such as appetite? Weight loss? Drinking more or less?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

eating more food and a small weight loss

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.

Whenever this starts in an older dog I encourage an examination with your veterinarian to be certain there is not a medical or systemic cause for the anxiety.

Especially when there is an increased appetite BUT weight loss.

Even something as simple as early cataracts and decreased night time vision can explain this nervous behavior.

With that said, some dogs do just have anxiety that is not medical, rather behavioral.

For this, homeopathic options for treatment can be considered, including melatonin and DAP.

Melatonin is a common medication used in people and pets, commonly dosed at 1.5 mg per dose for dogs under 30 pounds.

This can be given at night, or up to 2-3 times per day.

DAP is the other option discussed above (dog appeasing pheromone).

This is another common option.

It is a hormone / pheremone.

Here's a link on this product - with purchasing information Click here

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE