Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

Wehavea4 montholdpupplyPoodle/cairn cross she iscryingtryingtogototoilet

Wehavea4 montholdpupplyPoodle/cairn cross she iscryingtryingtogototoilet but havinga struggle her bot issore Ihave used vaseline to hep her soreness please help.
Thank you for your question.

Has she been passing a normal volume of feces compared to what she eating?

Has her feces been hard? Or diarrhea?

Does her rectum appear red/swollen?
Do you see any inner gut tissue poking out when she strains?

Has she had any vomiting?
Could she have eaten anything she shouldn't have (ie toys, rubberbands, non-edible items)?

Hi again.

I haven't heard back, see you are offline and a wee bit concerned here about Candy. Therefore, while the above questions would give me a clearer idea of her particular situation, I do want to leave some of my thoughts about what we need to be thinking about and doing for her.

When we see a pup straining to toilet and not isn’t passing a normal amount of feces, then we have to consider constipation. Some constipated dogs will struggle to pass any feces and others may just pass liquid feces (what can get aroundhard feces stuck in the gut).

As well, in young dogs, we do have to also be concerned about obstructions causing straining. These can be from ingesting a foreign body (that becomes lodged in the gut), high worm burdens (blocking gut flow), or we can even see intussusceptions (where the gut telescopes onto itself and essentially obstructs itself). So, there are all considerations here and thus we need to address possible constipation but if we don’t see quick improvement or suspect one of the above, we need to get her vet involved as soon as.

For constipation, you can help her relieve mild issues at home with a number of wee tricks. We sometimes find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along.As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose (LINK) or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).s

Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/4t teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure they have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if they won’t drink.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX rectum, it isn’t uncommon for straining to lead to a sore bottom. As long as you are not seeing the delicate pink inner tissue poking out (a rectal prolapse—which we’d want her to be seen by her vet for), there are a few things you can try to soothe the soreness for her. You do want to make sure she isn’t licking it and thus irritating it more. If she is you can put an e-collar on her (from the vet or pet store) or even a backwards pair of boxer shorts in her size (backwards so her tail can go through the fly). As well, you can salt water bathe (1 tbsp salt to a pint of warm water), dry, and put soothing vitamin E cream, aloe vera, or non-zinc oxide containing diaper cream (example ). If she is still sore or showing any hint of prolapse, then the vet should be contacted, since sometimes puppy safe anti-inflammatories and addressing of the underlying issue might be required for her.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output.
I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your pup begins to vomit, show belly pain, show a rectal protrusion (of her inner gut tissue) or worsens, then they should be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer, so that I may receive credit for my assistance today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the questions or issues you might have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.