robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian

My female albino african pygmy hedgehog is cold, lethargic,

My female albino african pygmy hedgehog is cold, lethargic, not eating, wobbling when she attempts to walk in short bursts, and has petechial hemorrhages on her mouth, inguinal area, hocks, and tail. I first assumed it was hibernation before she allowed me to unfurl her. I have attempted to warm her up using myself and covered heat pucks. My vet doesn't have a lot of experience wirh Hedgehogs, and neither do I on the medical side. Nothing I have ever found had referenced these bruises. We are currently treating with Baytril and I am force feeding a/d. Any thoughts?

robertnjrotc :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will try and help you as best as I can.

robertnjrotc :

When did this all begin?

robertnjrotc :

Has you hedgehog had any bloodwork done? The fact that she has petechiae is concerning. She definitely needs bloodwork to check if she is anemic or has a low platelet count. This can be as simple as a drop of blood on a slide or a full computerized blood count. Petechiae are due to a platelet issue, either a low count or a problem with platelet clotting. Even if your vet does not have a lot of experience with hedgehogs, bloodwork is relatively straightforward and easy to interpret.

robertnjrotc :

If no answer is found on the bloodwork, x-rays of the chest or an ultrasound of the belly is warranted.

robertnjrotc :

This would be to look for changes in any of the organs that might indicate a source of the problem.

Thank you for the advice. She passed on at 4:30 am.

Hi Samantha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Consuela. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She passed away before you responded.

I am so very sorry to hear that. please let me know if I can be of any help in the future.