robertnjrotc
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian
71397578

My dog is 10 years old and just got over a liver infection.

My dog is 10 years old and just got over a liver infection. Now he is staggering aroung like he is drunk and seems weak in his hind legs. Was on antibiotics for 3 weeks.

robertnjrotc :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will try and help you as best as I can. First a few questions: what kind of liver infection did your dog have? is he able to walk at all right now? Do you see a head tilt at all? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Is he on any medications at the moment?

Customer:

The liver infection was bacteria in nature. He can walk. He dies gave a head tilt. Little to no no appetite. Vomited once think he overate befire this occured. No diarrhea.

robertnjrotc :

I think he likely has vestibular disease, most likely due to idiopathic vestibular syndrome also called old dog vestibular syndrome. This is a condition that many dogs will recover from over a period of a few weeks. Treatment is mainly going to be symptomatic with medications to control nausea and vomiting. Signs however may not improve and if that is the case, a brain tumor will need to be considered and would require an MRI to fully diagnose. If you begin to see any seizures, a brain tumor is much more likely.

Customer:

Would he survive a tumor removal? What are his chaces statistically?

robertnjrotc :

I think the tumor is much less likely, however it should still be on the list. If it was a tumor, it would most likely not be removable. That being said, this is most likely just old dog vestibular disease and I would only consider a tumor if your dog did not improve over the next month or began having other issues, (mostly thinking seizures).

Customer:

Thanks.

robertnjrotc :

You're welcome. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I'll check up with you in a few days to see how your dog is doing. Have a good night, and please don't forget to leave feedback. Thanks.

How is your pet doing?