Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.

our chincilla was bouncing around as normal. We picked him

our chincilla was bouncing around as normal. We picked him up by the tail to keep him from jumping off the bed within a few minutes he seemed to loose control of one side of his body and now he has trouble walking and the left side of his mouth is not within his control

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I'm sorry to hear that Chuck is having what seems to be neurological problems. It's not likely that handling him by his tail has caused mouth problems, but I'm wondering if this whole episode that was exciting to him has caused some seizure activity. Is he still behaving the same? Dr. Barbara

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara :

If this is seizure activity then Chuck's symptoms should be subsiding.

Thank you for your response Dr. Barbara, yes, he seems to be fine now. He was very busy prior to the incident. but he is in his cage and running around as normal. I also read on line that it could be brought on by a mineral/calcium deficiency issue. Should we be suplimenting his diet in some way? He eats pellets and timothy hay along with some occasional dried fruits as a treat.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi and thanks for your response. Glad to hear that Chuck is back to his normal self. If he is eating well, his diet sounds good and you shouldn't have to supplement it. Low blood calcium and low blood sugar can cause weakness and twitching, but generally these are symmetrical, usually generalized, not one sided, and usually require intervention to resolve. Seizures on the other hand are usually short and resolve on their own. It is also most likely that he will never experience this again. If he has any more episodes like this, however, it would be good to have a blood profile done on him to check his organ functions and his blood calcium and sugar levels, as well as an exam to check his neurological functions and his heart. Hopefully, you won't have to do any of this. Hope you all have a peaceful night. Dr. Barbara

Dr. Barbara :

Good morning! Just checking up on Chuck. How is he doing this AM?

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Barbara, he is doing great, like nothing happened. I sincerely appreciate your follow up.

I expected so, but am thrilled that all is OK.
Take care and best of luck,
Dr. B