robertnjrotc
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian

Turns out since my last question that she actually has right

Customer Question

Turns out since my last question that she actually has right sided (tricuspid) disease & HBP. She is on Pimobenden, fuorosamide & Spironolactone. Enalapril nearly killed her--can't use that. Started feeling better, she's been exercise tolerant and happy! Wagging, doling normal stuff again, eating better. But she kept getting ascites and we'd have to have her abdomen drained. First time was 800 ml, then 700, then 800 over a month. She got really full again and we took her in on Fr (Nov 2) and the abdomenocentesis was 1400 ml! She is a 27 lb dog!
Since then, she has rapidly gone downhill. Complete lethargy, refusing to eat, she is nauseated...vomited 3 times today and is still not eating. She is thirsty..to an excess. My husband & I said we wouldn't let her suffer or her quality of life diminish. Well, today we feel is that point. Tomorrow we are going to take her in to say good bye to her. We jsut can'st believe she declined SO rapidly after the abdominocentesis!! it is correlated. directly, we feel. It's never happened before. I have learned to be VERY creative and have a cupboard full of things to prepare or offer her at different times. I've been working around her inappetance for a couple months and she's not lost a pound! today...nothing works. What do you feel could have caused this? I know her liver is a little "soggy" from her heart disease...but it wouldn't happen so suddenly. ANY ideas of what to do? Obviously, if I can't get her to eat and she vomited, I am NOT going to push pi;;s down her throat so she has had no meds since last night. PLEASE give us an idea...
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  robertnjrotc replied 1 year ago.

robertnjrotc :

Hello, My name is XX. X. X will try and help you as best as I can

robertnjrotc :

I am sorry to hear about your dog and her declining right heart failure.

robertnjrotc :

As far as what to do next, I think she would definitely benefit from some anti-nausea medication. This would best be done with an injection at a vet hospital. Alternatively you can try giving her some famotidine (pepcid) available over the counter, but it will not be as good as an injection.

robertnjrotc :

I think at this point it would be best to consider humane euthanasia if you believe she is suffering right now

robertnjrotc :

I think her decline is due to the nature of the disease, as it can only be treated for so long before the disease finally takes over

robertnjrotc :

Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try and help, but unfortunately I believe she needs veterinary attention if you want her to feel any better tonight.

Customer :

I should have had you read the "Just Answer conversation that I paid for a couple months ago first. I am a Vet Tech. Worked in Vet med since 1982. I gave her 2 mg of Zofran at 4:00 am and 4 mg at 10:45...to give any more would be useless as with her vomiting.

Customer :

This is the biggest waste of my stime and money and I'll likely never use Just ANser again.

Customer :

Her rapid and complete decline is DEFINITELY tied to the abdominocentesis in some way. She is highly tolerant of them as a rule. I thought you might offer some ideas as to WHAT could have caused it. Pierced the stomach... pierced her liver...something happened.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
If she is still nauseous and vomiting on the ondansetron another medication could be tried like cerenia, however it is very concerning that there could be something else going on. As far as an error in technique with the abdominocentesis, that is definitely possible. An ultrasound would be best to detect anything new. As far as what could have happened, peritonitis due to accidentally sticking the stomach or intestines is possible, however I would hope your vet would not have hidden that. Sticking the spleen should not cause a major problem unless there was underlying splenic neoplasia. Unfortunately, this also could just be due to the fact that your dogs disease is progressing. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you have any information to share.
Hi Lesley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

robertnjrotc