Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

My cocker spaniel (45 lbs.) got into my pill bag in my purse.

My cocker spaniel (45 lbs.) got into my pill bag in my purse. I am not sure that he ate anything .... if he did it could have been one or two pills.There is fiorcet and hydrocoden in the bag. I gave him 1 tsp. hydrogen peroxide and 1 tbsp. peanut butter mixed. He is not acting odd and has not thrown up yet.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.
What size pill was the Fioricet and Hydrocodone (in mg)?
How long ago did he possibly get into your purse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hydrocodin is 500 mg
fiorcet is 50-325-40he got in my purse ran with the bag and chewed it open ... I cannot tell if he actually ate any
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was about 45 minutes ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello ???
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information.
Let me calculate these doses to see if there is any risk and I will be right back - shouldn't be more then 7-8 minutes to type in your answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you... He has had pain medication from ACL surgery in the past. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
The Fioricet contains acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine. Both the caffeine and acetaminophen can be harmful to dogs though the toxic dose of Caffeine is about 150 mg/kg and the Acetaminophen is about 100 mg/kg. Since Rudy weighs 45 pounds or 20 kg that means that he would have needed to ingest about 3000 mg of caffeine to have any problems and 2000 mg of Acetaminophen.
If we add the Hydrocodone (usually 5 or 7.5 mg) which most likely had Acetaminophen (the 500 mg) in it also, then the possible dose of Acetaminophen is increased that he ingested. He would have needed to eat four total pills to have any risk of toxicity therefore this is very unlikely at this point.
The butalbital, and the hydrocodone are well within a normal dose for him therefore I would not expect any abnormal side effects at this point.
If you wanted to continue to try inducing vomiting you could buy giving him 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide. No more then two doses 15 minutes apart though to get him to vomit. I do not think you absolutely have to do this but if you wanted to do everything possible then inducing vomiting is still possible.
Overall I would watch him for any vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing, extreme sedation, or excitability. If these signs are seen then you may want to take him to an emergency vet, but I doubt that you will notice anything other then some mild sedation or mild hyper behavior from the caffeine.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you in advance!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets