CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog is squinting and acting like light hurts his eyes, this

My dog is squinting and acting like light hurts his eyes, this just started happening a day or so ago. He has always had matter in his eyes and I have cleaned them at least once a day for at least 2 years. Should I use eye drops or something I can do?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

Are the eyes red?

Are the pupils the same size?

What color is the eye discharge?

-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The eyes are not red. I have not gotten a good look at his pupils. The discharge is whitish yellow.

Based on your history, one possible cause is a conjunctivitis (LINK HERE).

Other causes we can not rule out with history alone:
- Corneal ulceration (scratch to the cornea, trauma to the eye)
- Allergies
- Other eye abnormalities such as a decreased tear production.

Options for at home care include:

- Warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second option is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery stor or drugstore as contact solution. (EXAMPLE HERE).

- Antihistamines - an example being Benadryl (LINK HERE).

- Testing to see if there are other causes such as an infection or ulcer and considering topical antibiotics. A common example is NeoPolyGram (EXAMPLE HERE)

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE