Hawkedoc
Hawkedoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian working with dogs, cats, birds, reptiles and exotic pets for over 11 years.

My vet has prescribed Synbiotic D-C, mix it with his food.

Customer Question

My vet has prescribed Synbiotic D-C, mix it with his food. I have 4 budgies in one large cage.
Do I need to keep him and his food separate
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hawkedoc :

Hello! I would like to answer your question.

Hawkedoc :

Synbiotic D-C is a pro-biotic, which means it replenishes the "good" bacteria in the GI system.

Hawkedoc :

I don't know why your one budge was put on the supplement, but it won't harm the other birds to have some. It is usually used for GI problems (was he having crop problems or diarrhea or is he on antibiotics?).

Hawkedoc :

So don't worry about having to separate him because of the Synbiotic. Now, if he is having a medical problem that could potentially be transmitted to the other birds, then I would separate him for that until the problem is resolved.

Customer:

He has been having diarrhea. He eats and drinks well, and plays, not as much as the others.

Hawkedoc :

Hopefully the probiotic will help. Sometimes a fecal sample needs to be analyzed and some form of medication (such as an antibiotic or an antiyeast) is needed, but the probiotic should help his gut.

Hawkedoc, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian working with dogs, cats, birds, reptiles and exotic pets for over 11 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has had diarrhea for a few weeks. The vet, firstly, analysed his fecal, no parasites were found. His diarrhea has improved slightly, but it is slow. So I took him to the vet for examination, this is when he prescribed the Synbiotic. Trying to seperate them was causing stress, to them all, which I thought would just make him worse. Me to.

Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.
I hope he does better now! Thank you very much for the positive rating. :)
Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.
Hello! How is Sunnie doing? Is the Symbiotic D-C helping his diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His fecal appears to be improving, it is less watery, and he seems to be a bit more active.

Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.
Very good! Hopefully he will continue to improve further over the next few days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just when I think he is improving, he seems to have taken a turn for the worse. He is back to watery fecal and sleeping all the time.

Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.
Sunnie may need some antibiotics or antifungal, after a fecal exam to determine which.

One thing you can try is adding apple cider vinegar to the drinking water (all the birds can drink it, not a problem), about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per 8oz water. Change it daily and use it for a week. Make sure that they drink, may want to start with 1/4 teaspoon and work up from there to make sure they don't refuse to drink.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX give it a try. His fecal is back to pure green water this morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A few weeks ago, when his fecal was a watery green, I recollected having given them millet, which of course was stripped to a twig. He was sluggish and sleepy then.

I gave then millet at the weekend as treat because he was doing so well, and appears to have had the same effect on him. Is it possible the millet has something to do with it?

Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.
The millet shouldn't be causing a problem, unless its contaminated with something. Most commercial bird seed mixes have a large percentage of millet seeds. If there was any chance that the millet spray had something on it then all the birds that ate from it should have shown similar symptoms. Are they all still acting fine?

I am guessing that he has got some sort of bacterial infection that may need to be treated with antibiotics (to get rid of the bad bacteria) as well as the probiotics (to replenish the good bacteria). I would suggest taking a sample of his droppings to your vet for them to run a gram stain on and maybe (depending on what that shows) a fecal culture. Bird droppings should be almost entirely gram positive bacteria, but sometimes a gram negative type of bacteria can overgrow and cause problems.
Hawkedoc, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sunny died this morning.

Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.

Oh, no! I am so sorry to hear that. Poor little guy. It is so unfortunate the birds hide how sick they are for as long as they can, putting a brave face on until they can't anymore. Keep a good eye on the others, I hope they all continue to do fine and stay healthy!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That leaves three, who are very health, or appear to be. However, Sunny was very close to Buck, they would have been cuddled together when he fell. Do I get Buck another friend or leave them as three?
Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.

I advise waiting a few weeks before getting another bird to make sure the remaining ones truly are healthy. Birds by nature tend to hide their illnesses until they are too sick to do so, because in the wild to show weakness means to get eaten. If and when you do get a new bird, I would recommend setting him/her up in a separate cage away from the others for a few weeks to make sure that the stress of a new home doesn't bring out some illness in the new bird, before introducing it to your current birds.

Good luck and I wish you and your flock all the best!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
After the death of my Sunny, I am seeing changes in my other budgies
Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.

I replied to your question about Charlie. Did you have other birds showing problems other than him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Barny is about 7 months, his feathers are looking scuffs particularly his tail feathers. Charlie's fell out ages ago and grew back in, so I don't know if he just needs to cast his. If Charlie is a female, I have the three in one cage, is this going to be OK?
Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.

Budgie do molt their feathers several times a year. At about 3 months old they molt from baby feathers to adult feathers, and then they can molt at various times after that. In captivity, they don't have a normal cycle but springtime is a very common time for new feathers to be grown in.

Did Barry have normal looking tail feathers before or have they always been scruffy looking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His feathers have always been long, shiny and well groomed, up until the last few weeks. He is constantly preening himself just now.
Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.
Does he seem to be molting? Does he have any bare spots? (a regular molt doesn't cause bare spots) When they molt they do tend to preen a lot because they are removing the feather sheaths and open up the feathers. There is a pretty good explanation about feathers growth HERE. Sometimes they act a little "off" as well, not as perky and active, other than an increase in preening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has no bald spots, I think he is just molting.

Expert:  Hawkedoc replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like he may be. Just watch him for any further issues.

As far as the birds sharing a cage, may never be a problem but watch them for any signs of over-pestering Charlie. You may eventually need to put her in a separate cage. I used to have budgies (used to breed them, as well) and had communal cages without problems, putting pairs into separate breeding cages when I wanted to breed them.