robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian

We found a young racoon curled up and lying on a remote road.

We found a young racoon curled up and lying on a remote road. He tried to walk away from us but was very weak. We did not touch him with our hands, picked him up with a long shovel and put him in our pickup. We called fish and game, various veterinaries but only got the answer to leave him where we found him. We just couldn't be that heartless so we brought him home. We fed him some warm goats milk and cat food which he ate and seems much better but still very shy. We are wearing thick gloves in case he has rabies and we have had him for about 1 1/2 days now. What I am trying to determine is how long does it take to know if the animal has rabies or not? We think (but are not sure) that he is probably too young (his teeth are pretty small yet) to care for himself and he may have just gotten seperated from his mom and was starving. How long before we know?
My name isXXXXX will try and help you as best as I can.
As far as the question about rabies, you should see signs in 10 days if he currently has a problem. What state do you live in? Many states in the US do not have raccoon rabies. The biggest concern with a raccoon is not rabies, it is raccoon roundworm (balisascaris). This is something you can pick up from the feces of the animal and it can be deadly to humans. For this reason, many wildlife centers and rehabilitators choose to be very limited with their raccoon contact. I definitely would recommend leaving the raccoon where you found it, however if you intend to rehab him, understand that he will never be a pet and should be released at some point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not received an answer to my last question yet but forgot to tell you that we live in Northern California (almost to the Oregon border).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have not had my questions answered and did not receive a reply to my follow-up. I have to leave the computer right now but would like to continue the follow-up if possible. Could I get an e-mail so that I can do that later?
There is no raccoon rabies in California, so you should be good with that. What is your other question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't know if someone is still there but I wanted to know about the roundworm you spoke of. Does that make the animal sick so that you would know if he had it? Is there a test for it? How deadly to humans is it and how easily transmitted? What about to other animals? Why do you suppose we found him in bad shape if it is not rabies? We are trying to determine where to go from here with him. He seems to have a good appitite now and a hundred percent better than when we found him although not back to what I would expect a racoon to act like...but he has only had a couple of days to recover from starvation if that is what it is.

The parasite is transmitted in the feces and you come in contact with it by the fecal-oral route (ingesting it). This would be from touching the animal and touching something else. It is very easily transmitted and other mammals can get it as well. It is best to bleach anything the raccoon comes into contact with. It can be tested for by a fecal examination from your vet. I would recommend taking him to your local wildlife center or wildlife rehabilitator. Often times animals are picked up very close to their nests and can be returned back to their mother if she is still there. Make sure you tell the rehabilitator exactly where you located the raccoon so it can be released where it came from.
Please let me know how I can help you more. I would like to answer your questions if you still have any. I want you to have a positive experience. Is there anything I can do to have you change your rating to positive? Thanks a lot.