robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian

one of our hampsters is showing hair loss on his hind legs

Customer Question

one of our hampsters is showing hair loss on his hind legs and white ashy swelling around his eyes. can you suggest a treatment?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  robertnjrotc replied 3 years ago.

robertnjrotc :

Hello. My name is Dr. G. I will try and help you as best as I can. Have you seen your hampster pulling out fur or chewing at his legs? What kind of bedding are you using? What is you hammy eating?How old is your hammy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the hampster is less than a year old. Food is Mouse and Rat Dailey Diet from All Living Things and the beeding is Carefresh Natural. We have not seen him chewing on his legs.

I think it could be due to the other hammy or possibly due to mites. I would recommend trying a mite spray or having him checked out by a vet if there is no improvement. The white material around the eyes is concerning. Does it peel off?