CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

puppy appx 8 wks old has diarreah,with small amt of blood in

Customer Question

puppy appx 8 wks old has diarreah,with small amt of blood in stool also has bloated abdomen. Puppy is active,playful. Will some type otc anti-diarreal work in this case
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

We can see these signs in young puppies as a result of several common causes:

1) Viral infection

2) Bacterial infection

3) Parasites - (LINK HERE), giardia (LINK HERE), and coccidia (LINK HERE).

4) Diet change, new treats, people food - termed dietary indiscretion

If the signs do continue - the best way to tell what is the cause would be to have your veterinarian do an examination and perform some tests, initially looking at the feces, testing for some of these infectious causes like parasites and protozoa (

How we commonly treat this?

Medications such as Flagyl or Sulfasalazine

Bulk in the diet such as fiber can also help, examples:

Canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

Other common therapies to consider for a colitis include:

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE) or Hill’s W/D (LINK HERE) which is higher in fiber.

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

2) Pedialyte for hydration - LINK HERE

3) Probiotics can also be considered - LINK HERE

4) Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) is also a consideration - dosages and usage information here:

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE

Hi Faye,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stray. How is everything going?