CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Our dog snuffles is 15 years old he has cateracks this morning

Customer Question

Our dog snuffles is 15 years old he has cateracks this morning he has a yellow substance coming out of his eye,we have cleaned it with warm water but he seems disoriantated and not himself , is there anything else we can do
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

I am sorry that Snuffles is not feeling well.

A dog with a cataract normally has an eye that has some white in then middle, but all else is normal.

Is Snuffles eye red or painful?

Does he squint that eye?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes his eye is painful when we cleaned it he yelped and pulled his head away it is a bit red also it looks like more gunk is coming out a bit like conjunctivitus,he is resting now ,i have some optric cleaning fluid would this be ok to use to clean his eye

Thank you for your reply!

I worry here there is more than a cataract.

A cataract is typically 100% non painful - and the eye is red, without discharge.

Based on your history, one possible cause is a conjunctivitis (LINK HERE).

Other causes we can not rule out with history alone:
- Corneal ulceration (scratch to the cornea, trauma to the eye)
- Glaucoma
- Uveitis

Common options for care include:

- Warm compress the eye with a clean, damp, warm cloth. This will help with inflammation in the area.

- The second option is to try to flush the eye with a sterile saline solution. I am referring to a normal, over the counter saline solution commonly found in the same aisle of the grocery stor or drugstore as contact solution. (EXAMPLE HERE).

- With that said - if the signs do continue, testing to see if there are other causes such as an infection or ulcer and considering topical antibiotics. A common example is NeoPolyGram (EXAMPLE HERE)

Hope that helps and answers all your questions!

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE