CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Hello, owner of 9 years old rescue golden retriever. His dagnosis

Customer Question

Hello, owner of 9 years old rescue golden retriever. His dagnosis from local vet is boreliosis and anaplasmosis. He was on antibotics for 3 weeks. As understood this was to manage boreliosis. Now the recommendations were to wait for six months for anaplasmosis to recover by itself. We're giving the dog evening shots of fresh juiced barley grass two hours after evening meal. And in morning meal ( dog kibble enriched with probiotics ) we add yourn sun-flower greenies, few spoons of ground chia seeds , parsley and young broccoli sprouts. Those were remedies added blindly from my human experience for how to boost immune system in case of tickborne disease. the dog can move 20 to 30 minutes energatically as used to be than his joints and muscles move slowly as in pain. Massage is doing good to him. Any reccomendations, diet plan, ideas, experiences, alternatives ( like homeopathic medicine ?) or remedies most apreciating . Blessings and Light for your work, your familly , your clients and neighbours.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

I have a few questions to best help.

Was this diagnosis made on the Snap IDEXX 4DX test, where the results were available in 10 minutes?

Were there other bloodwork changes checked?
- Platelets?
- Kidney values?

What antibiotic was used?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh sorry, I am not familiar with those answers.

Is it possible to have time to get these infromations for forming answers to you?

So answers on questions:

1. Was the IDEXX 4DX test used, and if were results available in 10minutes?

Must check it. I know that local vet appointed us for another test in six months.

2. Platelets, kidney values?

We must chek it. Guess only blood was tested.

3. What antibiotic was used?

Let me check please.

Is there any way to get back to you after I receive the answers?

Yes - please just reply when the answers are available.

If you would like I could supply information assuming they were as I expect - please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this could be helpful for better communication during querying the info from our local vet.

Hi there,

In regards to your question about homeopathic options.

Ledum is a common choice.

For dogs, doses are often extrapolated from human medicine - and in people they take one homeopathic pellet of Ledum 30c twice a day for 2 days following the tick bite. We typically give the same dose of Ledum 200c.

Regarding the actual diagnosis - Having a Lyme or Anaplasma positive status means that antibodies towards those antigens are present but that antibiotic treatment is not recommended in all asymptomatic dogs.

A positive status is common in many healthy dogs inendemic areas (up to 40% to 70-90% of healthy dogs are Lyme-positive in certain areas)

Moreover, treatment with antibiotics does not guarantee clearance of the carrier state.

When they are positive, we do like to check a urine sample and bloodwork to make certain the kidneys are healthy and there is no protein abnormally in the urine. A platelet count is also checked especially with Anaplasma.

If there is then a concern, special titers are sent to the lab to differentiate a carrier state and OLD infection as compared to active infection which needs treatment.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE