Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

Hi, my 9 week old puppy has had bouts of diarrhea for the past

Customer Question

Hi, my 9 week old puppy has had bouts of diarrhea for the past week (since we picked him up). We took him to the vets on Tuesday and were given some meds to try and harden his stools (which didn't work). He has been on a diet of rice and chicken yesterday and today, and this seems to have helped.
We changed his diet from what the breeder had been giving him (pedigree chum puppy food) to iams puppy food - should we go back to trying the iams? or would you suggest the pedigree chum? as this seems to be the cause?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.

I am sorry Jim has had this problem, loose faeces are very common in young puppies especially when the arrive in their new homes or when diet is changed.

The most important thing when changing a dogs diet is to do it very slowly, more so in young dog as their intestines haven't matured yet so can be very sensitive.

The Iams food is fine and I am sure as long as you are feeding the right amount it will be fine for Jim. What you should do is change to it very slowly. So mix the chicken/rice in with the Iams and over the course of 3-5 days slowly increase the amount of Iams but decrease the amount of chicken and rice. This should allow a diet switch without flaring up the intestines and the diarrhoea returning.

If at any point the diarrhoea returns or he becomes quiet, lethargic or vomits then get him checked by your vet.

I hope this all makes sense, let me know if you have any queries.

Good luck

Dan Makin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for that - I didn't know whether to start on the pedigree chum or Iams again - but think I'll stick with the Iams as I have a bag load of it...

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes Iams should be fine, perfect food for pups and saves wasting a bag of it!

Have a great day

Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jim. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We've started introducing the Iams (slowly) back into his diet and his diarrhoea seems to have subsided - although his stools can sometimes be a bit runny - is this normal for a puppy?

I took some stool samples to the vets yesterday and they are going to do a full analysis - better to get him checked out properly.

Thanks for your advice though

Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

That all sounds like great progress. Yes, indeed puppy poops can be a little intermittent in their consistency. As long as the majority of the time they appear normal then I wouldn't worry.

Good move getting a faecal done, at least you can sure there are non parasites or infections causing the issue.

Good luck