CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my cta has become disorientated and is staggering about the

Customer Question

my cta has become disorientated and is staggering about the house
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

With this history - notably the staggering it certainly seems as if you are describing a vestibular or central nervous system event.

Specifically regarding older cats, most often this is not "old age" alone - rather there is a true, underlying disease which is causing this.

Hyperthyroidism?
Hypertension?
Kidney disease?
Even brain disease?

Tests to consider for cases such as this:
- Bloodwork - to check organ values such as the kidney and liver for underlying metabolic disease. Many times older cats such as this can have underlying diseases which can make them do this:
- Kidney disease
- Hyperthyroid
- Diabetes

- Blood pressure - cats with high blood pressure (hypertension) can have neurological signs

- Infectious disease titers such as Toxoplasma

- Ultimately, if the signs persist, even tests such as a MRI and CSF tap should be considered to look for infection, inflammation, or even cancer around the brain (brain tumor).

Please note - a Positive RATING is appreciated before you close the window,

Reply any time if more information is needed!

The rating Positive RATING (SMILEY FACE) (and bonus) is the way the professional receives credit for their time.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE

Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gerswhin. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet