Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can anyone tell me the normal lifespan of a completely house

can anyone tell me the normal lifespan of a completely house kept rabbit, desxed female,in australia (sadly as there is no vaccine available for myxo)? We are becoming extremely fond of our pet bunny, and wonder what/how bunnies die of "old age". If they're lucky!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

I have been in small animal practice for more than thirty years and have seen a great many rabbits in my time. My practice was close to London UK and rabbits were a very common pet.

In answer to your question : A well cared for happy female house rabbit has an average life expectancy of between 8 to 12 years of age in my experience. Say ten to be on the safe side and twelve is really exceptional.

It is good she is neutered as this will prevent uterine cancer at a young age and will also make her a better and more affectionate pet without the cycles of hormones.

I cannot prove this but I am of the opinion that house rabbits often live longer than ones kept in hutches outside.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.
Hi Jill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Spider. How is everything going?

Vet Answers
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Funny you should ask, and welcome! We took spider for her calicivirus immunisation and general health check today, also booked her in for spaying in a month. She was TERRIFIED at the vet, got a good bill of health, but she has come home very traumatised and her "taming " set back a bit. Rabbits are such sensitive creatures!Am I allowed to ask you another question?
Hello again,

Rabbits are so sensitive, that's for sure but in the wild they are prey animals and this is probably an adaptation for survival. If they get frightened in the slightest they will run a mile or seek safety and so live to run another day!

Please ask any question you like related to our original topic for which there will be no charge. If you have a new question to ask then there is normally a fee but you can set that yourself.