robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian

Hi there, I have some turkeys that have a swallen large bag

Hi there, I have some turkeys that have a swallen large bag of fluid under their neck. Not sure what it is or how to help them? when I hang them by their legs light brown fluid comes out of their mouth. 

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  robertnjrotc replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX will try and help you as best as I can.
This sounds like your turkeys have an impacted crop. This can essentially be caused by anything that gets stuck in the crop (long grass, pieces of melon or other food).

If caught early, the contents of the crop need to be softened with apple cider vinegar, warm water or a couple of teaspoons of Olive Oil. Massage gently for a few minutes, then, turn the bird upside down to empty the crop out through the beak. Turn the bird the right way up to allow it to breathe every 8 to 10 seconds. This is a two person job. In more serious cases, veterinary intervention is required. A vet will usually cut the crop open, empty the contents and stitch the bird back up afterwards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have any grass for them to eat and I have three turkeys with the same problem. It does not feel hard, but rather soft. Also today I found a turkey just dead. I HAVE NO IDEA why?

From what you are describing it sounds like an impacted crop. That can be due to anything getting stuck in the crop (seeds, nuts, fruit, rocks, etc). Since you have lost a turkey already, I think the best thing to do would be to get a necropsy (animal autopsy) of the dead turkey. That will provide the most useful information and can often provide you with a solid diagnosis. For the other turkeys, I would continue what you were doing by massaging the crop and flipping them upside down to empty the contents. Like I said before, if it does not get better, surgical intervention is necessary.
Hi Tony,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?