Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Our 65 pd. Airedale ate grapes approximately 2 hours ago.

Our 65 pd. Airedale ate grapes approximately 2 hours ago. We think she ate 7 or 8 large green grapes. We gave her a piece of bread and then peroxide and she did throw up. We then got her to eat a pepto bismal pill ground up with some turkey, cheese and dog food. She seems to be fine now but has been laying down for about 45 minutes but that is typical. We know that vomiting and diarrhea are the signs of kidney failure but my question is: How long does that take if it is going to happen. In other words, when do we know she is out of the dark and is going to be o.k. We live in a small town and there are no 24 hour animal hospitals. If we let her go to sleep as normal and check on her throughout the night when can we feel comfortable that she is doing ok and go to bed ourselves?
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

We are out of the "dark" in about 72 hours. The typical signs are like you indicated... vomiting, but also not eating and excessive thirst. Based on the number of grapes eaten (low numbers) there is unlikely to be severe problems or any problems at all. Almost certainly she'll be fine with no effects as she needs to eat many more than this to cause the typical kidney failure. If you are really concerned then have her kidneys checked on Monday morning to be sure and give you piece of mind.

If she starts vomiting or drinking severely then call the on call vet (usually required by law) and get her treated right away.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for some peace of mind. If she does start vomiting or diarrhea through the night, is there anything we can do. Should we give her another pepto bismal pill to try and control it?

No peptobismol with it's aspirin like component will likely make the stomach more irritated since hydrogen peroxide has been used. If any of the vitis toxin is in the system it is too late and is already at work, however it usually needs to be a much higher dose of the toxin to cause any issues.

I'd just feed her normally, give her her normal water in the morning and keep a close eye on her.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok. Thank you

Best of luck to you both!