Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

We have a little kitty n he has been sneezing real bad n his

Customer Question

We have a little kitty n he has been sneezing real bad n his eye turned red n started going shut. Now the other eye is doing the same thing. I tryed washing his face with warm water but it helps open the eye but not the redness. Then it starts closing again. He is also wheezing real bad. What should I do.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

It sounds like she has a viral or bacterial upper respiratory infection. Cats stop eating when they get stuffed up and can't smell their food so watch carefully for a drop in appetite. Most upper respiratory infections especially viruses will affect the eyes and make them swell up. What you need to do right now is to is put her in a bathroom with a hot shower running and have her breathe in the steam for 5-10 minutes. If you need to try to entice her to eat, wet her food down and warm it up in the microwave which will increase the scent and possibly get her to eat more. For her eyes use human artificial tears or Genteal eyed drops 3x daily to soother her eyes. On Monday have her see the vet if she's not better as she may need antibiotic treatment for the sneezing and eyes.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan