robertnjrotc
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian
71397578

hi. i have a ragdoll male and he is peeing blood. Can i wait

hi. i have a ragdoll male and he is peeing blood. Can i wait till tomorrow or monday because the emergency fee is nerly £200. Thanks

robertnjrotc :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will try and help you as best as I can

robertnjrotc :

First a few questions: when did this first begin? How old is your cat? Has this happened before? Any increase in drinking and/or urination? Is he using his litter box still?

Customer:

hi. he is 2, never before, and first signs 48 hors ago but wasnt sure it was him but have just witnessed it. He pees outside so dont know about litter box. Not noticed water. and he is licking himself like mad by his willy. He is spade. Thanks

robertnjrotc :

This could be one of a number of things: urinary tract infection, urinary stones, or a condition called Feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC). FIC is typically due to stress, which causes inflammation in the bladder. Things that can cause FIC include new pets, new children, construction in the house, moving or packing, or new visitors. If he seems ok and is not hiding in a corner crying, he may be ok with not seeing a vet until monday. I recommend feeding him canned food until he is able to get to the vet. The vet can check his urine to see what is going on and will recommend an x-ray if a stone is palpated.

Customer:

oh thank you. was so worried. He is actually quite himself and there is construction going on in the house which is weird that you pointed that out.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help. Will try vet tomorrow day time. May not be as expensive.

robertnjrotc :

This is likely stress related. I recommend checking out the indoor cat initiative (http://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats/) for more information on reducing his stress and environmental enrichment. The major way we help cats in this situation is by trying to increase water intake and keeping them calm and busy.

robertnjrotc :

Canned food and water fountains can help with water intake, cat pheromones (Feliway) can help to reduce stress. Let me know if you have any other questions.

robertnjrotc :

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Also, please leave positive feedback!

How is your kitty? Please let me know if I can provide any more information. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi there. He went to the vets on monday and he had cystitis and is starting to rally now. Thank you so much for your help. Laughing

You're welcome. I'm glad he is doing better. Please let me know if you have any more concerns. Also, please don't forget to leave positive feedback. Thank you.