CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Hi we think a syrian hamster mayhve peanut butter stuck in

Customer Question

Hi we think a syrian hamster mayhve peanut butter stuck in their pouch how can we help remove it?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

I am sorry to hear that Millie-Snow is having some difficulty.

Often when this happens - it is difficult at home to remove the material.

While a veterinarian may be able to hold the hamster in a special way (scruff the neck) to get a good look in the area, often we use a special speculum with a light attachment to get the best look in the pouch.

If there is a lot of material stuck - we may even need a short sedation or anesthesia to thoroughly clean it out.

While we assume it can be peanut butter - it may be an infection as well, which would then need antibiotics.

While you can try a syringe or dropper to flush the area, if it gets larger, more painful, or this does not work - a speculum may be needed and examination with your vet to get this resolved.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok tat may not be the problem.

She has been squeeking when breathing/ Took her to vets yesterday they said it could be a chest infection

antibiotics in water

My girlfriend is telling me that she was struggling to open eyes and moved very slowly through tubes

How long has she got? what is best to help her. my girrlfriend is very upset and is in the uk while i am in australia.

How can she help, should she leave her in the cage? Its a rotastak cage if that helps.

Or get her out?

Hi there - yes, absolutely this can also be a respiratory infection.

This is often diagnosed not only on examination - but testing to consider such as an X-ray.

That would be best helpful in not only a diagnosis - but then that would answer more your other question - specifically prognosis