Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My yorkie fell or tried to jump off the counter where I briefly

My yorkie fell or tried to jump off the counter where I briefly put him to put his collar on. As I turned he hit the floor, hard wood, and cried his body was distorted, I picked him up heels him and messaged his body he seem stunned has not been crying at all but he is not citing his self and does not want to walk could he possibly have a broken leg? I will take him to the vet in the morning ASAP. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you by the way he is 10 years old and weights about 4-5 lbs
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 10 year old boy Teddi who hurt himself after a fall from the counter. You will have to keep a close eye on your boy as a fall from this sort of height in a small breed dog, often leads to a limb fracture. The fact that he doesn't seem to want to walk at all is definitely a concern and could be a sign that he has a fracture, or he could simply just be painful. Whatever the case, you are better to take precautions tonight and keep him as confined as possible. If you have a crate for him - leave him crated overnight and get him to your Vet first thing tomorrow morning as you plan to. Here they can assess Teddi, feel all four limbs for pain or abnormalities that may indicate a fracture and xray him if a fracture is suspected.

The main thing for now is to try and keep Teddi warm and comfortable until the morning. It is just as important to restrict his movement by confining him as above. Best of luck with your boy and here's hoping he hasn't done any damage. Let me know how you get on if you get a chance. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback (5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could he possibly have a concussion ?

Hi again Claire,

If he fell directly on his head - yes, he could definitely have a canine form of concussion. Just to check his blood perfusion and breathing are all ok, please check his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully he is otherwise ok and just settles down in a confined area so you can get him seen by your regular Vet in the morning.

Best of luck and keep in touch with Teddi's progress.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards