ERvetguy
ERvetguy, ER Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years veterinary experience, 4 years practicing
9166963

I have a 5 year old Chihauhau with bad knees and is overweight.

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old Chihauhau with bad knees and is overweight. What do you suggest the best type of diet? He eats the same as my other chihauhau and is a lot fatter.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.

ERvetguy :

Good morning, I would be more than happy to answer your questions. It seems that Timmy has a weight problem which is probably making his arthiritis worse. Just like people, sometimes we need to be on a diet that is better suited for him to loose weight. I would recommend him being on a prescrition diet that has lower calories but it is the same amount of food, these can be obtained by your regular veterinarian. Diest such as Hills Science Diet R/D, IAMS Weight Loaa (Restricted Calorie) and Royal Canine Calorie Control are good prescrtion diets that have low fat, high fiber and have the lower calories than normal dog food but usually about the same amount. There are over the counter foods that are not ideal but can be used as well to decrease calories and fat in the diet. I would recommend Puina One Healthy Weight Formula.

ERvetguy :

If you would like to use a more effective way and obtain the prescription diet then please contact your local vet to discuss the best weight plan diet.

ERvetguy :

I hope this helps and I would be more than happy to answer any further questions when you are back online. Please don't forget to rate my response

ERvetguy :

Why am I recieving poor service? What else would you like to know?

ERvetguy :

I'm here to answer questions that you have but you haven't returned any response to me, I would like to discuss more about Timmy but you weren't online at this time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had no other choice. Your response was OK, but nothing I didn't already know. I am not sure what I expected but since you added nothing I didn't already know I had to choose poor or pay for service I already knew.

Expert:  ERvetguy replied 2 years ago.
This case of diet control is a question and answer type of replies. I don't think any vet could formulate a plan based on not discussing everything that was going on with Timmy. What other food are you giving him, treats? Table food, any exercise? You said you are feeding him about 1/2 cup of iams dry.... what specific kind of iams food, what kind of wet food, do you give him the wet food cause he doesn't eat the dry without the wet? Have you had any blood work performed on him, testing for diabetes, cushings disease, hypothyroid disease?? I gave you specific information that if you already tried those other diets first then diving down the rabbit hole further by performing blood work would be the next step. I can only give so much information unfortunately without getting more information from you about Timmy. I am sorry you were dissatisfied with my answers, I wasn't finished, I would have liked to get a reply back saying what you have already tried as it seems you said you already have tried weightless diets... Correct? Medicine is not an exact science, it sounds like you just wanted a one sentence answer? I hope not, as this wouldn't correct Timmy's problem in this case. Please get back to me so we can come up with an appropriate plan for Timmy.

Dr. G