Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

I have a female lamb that is 10 months old. She is showing

Customer Question

I have a female lamb that is 10 months old. She is showing symptoms of being ill. Her face looks swollen, I observed her holding her tail up trying to go to the bathroom, when she tried she moaned and nothing came out. She has residue of diarrhea around her bottom. I know she is ill because I offered her corn and she turned her head away. She never turns her head away from corn. She would not drink water either. She seems restless, but exhausted. I noticed her nose is running as well. As of now it is clear. can you please help?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.

I am sorry Mary is unwell.

It is likely she has a bacterial or viral infection that may well be causing a severe diarrhoea. It is likely she is dehydrated and the swelling of her face is a concern.

You will be able to provide supportive treatment at home by keeping her warm, out of drafts and away from any other sheep you have. Try to get some rehydration powder to mix with water to replace lost fluid through diarrhoea and reduced appetite/thirst. You may need to syringe this in.

I suspect Mary is quite ill and that she should get some veterinary attention, it may well be she needs some antibiotics and possibly even some fluids under the skin or into her vein if appropriate.

Unfortunately it may be a problem she doesn't recover from, I really hope this isn't the case.

Let me know of you have any queries

Good luck and best wishes

Dr Dan Makin
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the advice. I hope I can find a Vet on Saturday. I live in a very small town.
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 1 year ago.

Try your best, but at the moment nursing care maybe just as effective in the interim, especially the rehydration. You could try getting a lambing bottle to bottle feed some hydration solution.

Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome

Take care