Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets

I found a torn (possibly chewed) on packet of silica gel by

I found a torn (possibly chewed) on packet of silica gel by my chihuahuas bed. What should I do as I'm really concerned she may have injested it
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long ago did she possibly chew up the bag?

Did she swallow any of the bag itself or possibly just the silica gel inside?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Possibly just the silica and I have no idea when she would have swallowed it as it way between the pad and base of her bed
Thanks for the additional information.

Good news! Even though the silica gel packets say do not eat, they are actually not toxic at all to dogs. The gel packets can cause an obstruction in the intestines if the entire packet is ingested though the silica gel is unlikely to cause any problems other then a mild upset stomach. This gel can dry out fluids around it therefore generally we recommend making sure that she has plenty of water to drink and also make sure that she is eating normally.

If you were going to see any signs of an upset stomach the most common signs would be vomiting and diarrhea. This is obviously very rare in this situation, but if you do see these signs, typically I would recommend feeding her a bland food such as some boiled ground beef and rice for a couple of days. this will help her stomach settle down as the bland food is much easier to digest.

Overall I really would not expect any harmful effects at all since she did not swallow the packet itself.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you in advance!
Hi Cj,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She's fine. thank you for the advice and follow up :)

You are very welcome!