robertnjrotc
robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal private practice veterinarian

Dwarf Russian hamster

My dwarf Russian hamster drinks bottle of water a day. Is this normal? and what should i do?

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  robertnjrotc replied 1 year ago.

robertnjrotc :

Hello, My name isXXXXX will try and help you as best as I can. First a few questions: what is his current diet? Has he always taken in that much water? How much is he drinking (I can't tell from your info, Is he drinking two 10 ml bottles)? Tell me about his enclosure, any other hampsters?

Customer:

It is only him. He has a 20ml water bottle he did not use to drink that my much. His diet is a mix the hamster one. He also has treat sticks but one will last him a month maybe. His enclosure is a normal hampster cage/

robertnjrotc :

The increase in drinking makes me think he could possibly be a diabetic hampster. This is a condition that is becoming more and more common in dwarf hampsters. Ideally you would have his urine checked out by a vet (just by using a urine dipstick), which would show if there was excess sugar or ketones in the urine, although you may be able to find a urine dipstick at a pharmacy. Here is a good handout for diabetic hampsters:

robertnjrotc :

http://www.smallangelsrescue.org/doc/small_angels_rescue_dwarf_diabetes_info.pdf

Customer:

Thank you. Ill take him to a vet and get them to look at him.

robertnjrotc :

your welcome, any other questions for me today?

Customer:

he also has started sneezing a lot which can go on for like 20mins is that normal?

robertnjrotc :

Do you see any discharge or fluid around his nose? Also, what kind of bedding is he on? Does the sneezing happen over and over again, or is it a couple sneezes every 20 minutes or so?

Customer:

No there is no discharge or fluid around his nose. He has bed friendly wool from pets at home also he shreds his own stuff like paper and toilet tubs and makes a bed with that. When he sneezes it it over and over again for like 15mins then a couple every now and again

robertnjrotc :

Sometimes it can be due to the dust in the bedding. Are his eyes red at all?

Customer:

Nope is eyes are like jet black

robertnjrotc :

I think the sneezing is likely due to the bedding. I would not worry much about it unless you start to see difficulty breathing or discharge from the nose

Customer:

Ok Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it could have been because he makes tunnels like a mole in his shavings and it was the dust from that.

robertnjrotc :

Dust from the bedding or digging around can often cause some sneezing, but it is not much to worry about. Any other questions for me today? I hope I was able to help you out.

Customer:

No thats it thank you

robertnjrotc :

you're welcome. Have a good day

robertnjrotc, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal private practice veterinarian
Please let me know if I can help you any more. Please also don't forget to leave positive feedback. Thanks.
Hi Vicky,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Timmy. How is everything going?

robertnjrotc