Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.

worms in stool

worms in stool

Thank you for your question.

If you have found worms in Brandy's stool today, then there are 2 worm types that we usually find in this manner. The first is the 'rice- like' tapeworms (which are transmitted by the dog ingesting infected fleas). The other is the more worm-looking round worms.

To treat worms, you can buy worming products over the counter. Therefore, you can ask for them at the vet's or at your local pet stores and these will be dispensed to you. There are a range on the market, but you want to use a good quality wormer that covers both round worms and tapeworms. In this situation, it would be ideal for you to treat Brandy with Drontal (LINK) or Milbemax (LINK) as it will cover all the worms in question. Do make sure to have an idea of her weight before purchase wormer to make sure you get the correct dose for her size.

If you find that she is prone to worms, you do want to try and treat her every three months and keep up on her flea control if it is the tapeworms that you are seeing.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer, so that I may receive credit for my assistance today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the questions or issues you might have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.