CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

can nematodes put on the garden cause skin conditions in p

can nematodes put on the garden cause skin conditions in pets?
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

Is there a specific nematode you are referring to?

The most common one affecting dogs is roundworms.

Please let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My animals are fully protected against the usual things with up to date injections and flea and worm treatment. My husband bought nematodes to kill vine weevil larvae in the garden. Few days later the first of the dogs got crusty sores; it has now spread through all 3 dogs and one of the 4 cats; the vets don`t seem to know what it is since the tests came back negative. The only thing l can think of that is different is the nematodes he put on the garden, although the website stated they were safe to use with pets.

Hi there,

While an infectious cause with all the pets having the signs would be plausible, nematodes would not be considered to be a common or likely cause.

Mites or a bacterial skin infection would be more likely.

This is typically diagnosed via skin scraping and skin culture (biopsy not as common)

Moreover, if your veterinarian can not find the cause - if you wanted to see a specialist, a board certified veterinary dermatologist would be recommended

Your veterinarian can refer you, or you can use this LINK HERE to find one in your area.

These are veterinarians that went through veterinary school, and then did not only at least 1 year of an internship, but then did a 3 year residency ONLY focusing on this speciality to best diagnose and treat conditions such as this.

Reply any time if more information is needed!

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE

Hi Shirley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella Etc. How is everything going?