Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
23462335

second question this week. We have an indoor bunny and live

second question this week. We have an indoor bunny and live in rural australia (bush, rainforest setting) my question is this. If our rabbit stays totally indoors with hand-picked grass as large componenet of her diet, what is her risk of myxomatosis?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 2 years ago.

I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.

This is a great question. If Spider is kept totally indoors and provided she has not been exposed to the virus before you got her and she doesn't come in contact with any stray rabbits or those of unknown history then the chances of her catching it are very remote indeed (never say never!) but it is extremely unlikely. The myxomatosis virus is passed through rabbit contact and rabbit flea bites. So by being completely indoors and provided none of the family are exposed to rabbit fleas whilst out and about Spider should be myxomatosis free.

I hope this makes sense and let me know if you have any queries,

Good luck

Dr Dan Makin
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

there dont seem to be any wild rabbits, that we've seen round here, so i imagine me picking grass for her would add minimal risk?

Yes picking grass should be fine for her and shouldn't be a means of her contracting myxomatosis.

Thanks for the rating,

Take care

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry to ask so many questions, but we have never had a bunny before and i am rapidly becoming very fond of this one!

we got her from a breeder at 2 months of age 1 month ago

when we got her, she arrived with a months supply of food, hay and pellets. she did not seem to be eating much, so i offered her some fresh grass, to cut a long story short, she now seems to refuse the hay and pellets and only wants grass and vegies, just lately (on the same day that she has been treated with "revolution" for ear mites,) her poos have become a bit sloppy, she doesnt seem otherwise unwell, although possibly slightly lethargic?

should i cut back on the grass, or would you be concerned that it is a side effect of the revolution(salamectin) which we put on the back of her neck and were sure about the dose

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
waiting for answer, i am very happy with the answers i've received so far, but imagine dan is happily tucked up in bed as i am in australia and the time difference makes it difficult

I am up and awake at work now, so apologies for the delay :)

You do need to exercise caution with the amount of water containing food you give rabbits as they can cause digestive upset and ultimately diarrhoea.

So you should strive for a balance between fibrous foods to encourage teeth wear (rabbits teeth continually grow and it is important they wear down to avoid sharp edges which can injure the mouth) and all round balanced nutrition.

I would aim to limit the grass and veggies, and when giving veggies use things like broccoli, carrots and apple and chard. Avoid high water content food such as tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce.

Supply a daily commercial pelleted ration along with ample hay. Aim to feed the veggie food a couple of times a week.

With time hopefully the appetite will pick up and the transition will work well, it might be a good idea to implement this change slowly.

I doubt the revolution will cause such an effect, reactions to these drugs tend to be quite spectacular.

Other good 'treats' include fresh coriander and parsley.

It is important you observe the faeces to harden. It is normal for the first poo of the day to be a little soft (they usually eat this and it is normal, so you may not see these) it aids gut function.

I hope this makes sense and let me know if you have any other questions, I'm more than happy to answer :)

Take care

Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian