CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

RA RR

Customer Question

My cat Merc is 4 years old and i got him from rspca in april this year. he has lost half his boyweight in 1 week , has diarorhea bad and is not very lively. He is fully wormed up to date with drontal and is flead with frontline every 4 weeks without fail. I have had him to the vets and they have done all the usual bloodtests , xrays etc and some of his results are poor.
His EOS is 0.86 - MCHC is 30.7 - RDW is 16.8 . All the others are within the normal range. He has had an injection with antibiotics that will last a fortnight and today he has been back to vets for check and his thyroxine (total T4) is 6 . Basically my vet has told me it means his body is shutting down. I have made it clear that i wont accept a previously healthy beutiful cats body can shut down at 4 year old without a valid reason behind it and have asked them to do surgery to check him inside. His weight is just below 3 kilo and he is long haired . Can anyone shed some light as to what can be going on? Pleaseeeeeeeeee
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

As there are different ranges, what is the thyroid normal range on your test?

Is there vomiting?

Is the cat an indoor only cat?

Any other cats in the house affected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

normal in the uk to T4 is 19 - 65

No vomiting . No other cats are sick.

Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

While bloodwork is most often the first step due to the massive amount of information provides, rather than an x-ray in this case, many would consider an abdominal ultrasound based on the bloodwork findings.

Why?

Rather than an x-ray which is essentially black and white with little in-between interpretation about the organs, an ultrasound can look at all the organs individually for growths, thickening, or inflammation.

A common concern with your history is intestinal changes, which can be seen with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - which would not have a likely bloodwork change.

If IBD is diagnosed - we then target the cause - the hypersensitivity to the food - changing their food to either a hydrolyzed protein diet or a novel protein diet.

For signs such as this - diet change is common, examples being:

- Hill's Z/D
- Purina HA

Other common treatments for cats with IBD including medications such as metronidazole (an antibiotic) and even a steroid (prednisone)

Reply any time if more information is needed!

The rating Positive RATING (SMILEY FACE) (and bonus) is the way the professional receives credit for their time.

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: CriticalCareVet.
Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian. This is information ONLY, not advice. More information can be found HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

merc simply will not eat any other food . we tried him different food in case if was ibs but he never ate for 2 days so the vet told meto put him back on his old food which is Royal canin Fit 32 and sensible. He only eats gourmet perle wet food. He has chicken , ham and fish cooked for him also so his diet is good.

He is an otdoor cat but only frequents outside for short spells - never for more than 1 hour at a time. He has been drinking out of my pond which has no fish or any cleaners as it is a waterfall. I am certain this has something to do with his illness.

The vet game me today some steroid tablets to give him half a tablet am / pm which are called Prednidale

mercs other tests that arent normal :

TP-PS is 51 (normal 57-78)

ALB-PS is 21 ( normal 23-35)

I there a reason a negative rating was given?