Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

Chloe, 3 yr. old Australian Shepherd, has just had seven pups

Chloe, 3 yr. old Australian Shepherd, has just had seven pups over the course of five hours. Pups are fine, Mommy seems ok, but is still trying to get rid of the green afterbirth. Goes to yard and tries to poop it out. Is this normal? What warning signs should I look for?

Welcome back to Just Answer. Thanks for your question. Did you have x-rays to give an exact number of pups to be expected? Could she be trying to birth one more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Early on, an ultrasound showed "at least 2." She's no longer panting, and I have the overall impression that's all, but there seems to be a lot of encomium or whatever that greenish afterbirth is. She's still spotting the green thick fluid. The births were pretty easy, this is her first, she weighs 48 lbs.

Ok. Is she done? Hopefully she is and at this time she's just getting the rest of the after birth passed. What I would hope is that she settles down here in the next hour or so and then focuses on being a good mom for the pups. Some can have continued uterine contractions getting rid of the afterbirth for a couple hours after birthing. The discharge can be present for a couple days. What I wouldn't want to see is it becoming very bloody or foul smelling. I would hope that she has normal drinking and eating. What I'd not want to see is her actively pushing for over an hour as that would give the strong indication that she has another pup in there that isn't passing as well as the previous 7. Hopefully with how well the birthing process has gone up to this point it will continue to be a good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you; the best information is the info that it's perfectly normal for her to spot for a couple of days. She's already a good Mama, cleaning and feeding from the first to the last (well, I hope it's the last!)

Let her have a nice quiet spot to take care of these new additions to the family. I'm hoping she'll do well!
Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She still pants a lot, but the weather's warm, and after seven pups and feeding them constantly and then cleaning, no wonder she's panting! All the pups are fat and fit, and she probably is, too. Eating fine. Nose is not too dry, and she's gaining back a little weight.

It sounds like things are for the most part going well for mom and the pups. I hope she continues t eat and drink well. Hopefully the panting improves. I would be especially observant for any vaginal discharge, weakness or trembling. If these are seen, she should definitely be evaluated. It is always a good idea to have mom and pups checked over in the first couple days post birthing.