How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 17571
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we live in australia and have a 3 month old mini lop female

This answer was rated:

we live in australia and have a 3 month old mini lop female bunny. i understand it is imperative to de-sex her for cancer prevention, but our vet would like to wait till she is a little bigger (she is now 750g)
she is starting to show signs that look like sexual maturity ie "marking" boundaries with urine and faeces, rubbing chin on EVERYTHING and burrowing and making nests of paper etc like crazy. will most of this behaviour settle if we de-sex her, and does it make a difference if we do it now or in a month or two?

nekovet :

Thank you for your question.

nekovet :

Apologies for the delay in reply, but your question appears to have been listed in the canine section

Since you are offline, I will switch from the chat to the Q&A feature.

I am glad to see that you plan to have Spider spayed. We still lose too many female rabbit patients to preventable uterine tumors. In regards XXXXX XXXXX they can be spayed, we can spay females as soon as they sexually mature. This is usually around 4 months of age, though we can see precocious rabbits as you have here. ("early bloomers").

In this case, I agree with the vet that delaying the operation a wee bit will help lessen that increased risk of anesthesia issues we can have with young rabbits. And while she may be reproductively ready, we want to make sure that we are undertaking this surgery at a stage and in a manner where we can remove as many risk factors as possible.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX concerns about a delay in spaying, the behaviors should decline post operatively as her estrogen levels drop in the absence of her uterus (it may take a few weeks for the blood levels to drop post-operatively, so don't be alarmed if she doesn't change as soon as her uterus is removed). And there should be no repercussions on the uterine tumor front with such a small delay in spaying. (if we were talking years, then perhaps it would be an issue).

So, it is a wee bit inconvenient that she is an early bloomer, but delaying the spay will decrease some risks and won't have long term negative effects on those positives we spay for.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.


Please remember to rate my answer, so that I may receive credit for my assistance today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the questions or issues you might have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.
Dr. B. and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you