How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19294
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At 5:45 PM my 12 lb Chihuahua/Dashund/Miniature Pinschure mix

This answer was rated:

At 5:45 PM my 12 lb Chihuahua/Dashund/Miniature Pinschure mix ate 18 chocolate small eyeballs the size of a penny and 1 chocolate disc the size of a half dollar and 3/8 thick.
He ate part of a hamburger patty at 9:00 PM and threw up at 9:20 PM (large quantity)
We got home at 9:30 PM and he drank water. He threw up twice both large quanities). He went outside and urinated. He has been sitting on our laps but jumps down frequently wanting out.
He drank more water at 10:50 PM and has asked to go out but just came back in.
He seems to be settling down now.
It sounds like you're seeing the typical signs of chocolate toxicity in a dog. We'll see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), excitation, restlessness, increased thirst/ urination and then muscle tremors/ seizures/ elevated heart rates at very high doses.
I wouldn't expect to see much worsening tonight. You will see increased thirst/ urination for the next 12-24 hours. Try to be sure to get her outside every 2-3 hours, as chocolate can be re-absorbed over the bladder wall. You'll also likely see some diarrhea tomorrow. Other than that, she should do fine. This does not sound like a fatal amount by any means.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I was concerned that his symptoms might worsen and I want to have the chance to get him in to his veterinarian if necessary. He is totally up on all his shots and has been healthy. He just found that Halloween candy was to good to resist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His stomach seems to be swollen, is this to be expected? He is sleeping in bed now.
It sounds like he'll do just fine. We rarely have to treat chocolate dogs in the hospital as it takes quite a bit of chocolate to be toxic and most dogs self treat by vomiting if they eat too much.
The abdominal distension may be due to gas and fluid build up in the gut.
The fact that he's sleeping is a good sign. The serious dogs don't typically settle down.
Dr. Gary and other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you