Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

my dog is just over a year old and had her first heat early.

my dog is just over a year old and had her first heat early. We had her fixed in June and the vet said she was an anomally she only had one overy. She has sagging skin like she's been bread and reproduced and now she's lactating. Is this normal I am concerned?
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

No, what you are observing is not normal for a spayed female dog. I assume you mean that her mammary gland are enlarging which you say that her skin is sagging.
There are several possible explanations:
1. She could have something called an ovarian remnant which means that she has ovarian tissue in her body that is producing hormones responsible for the changes that you are seeing. She would need surgery to find and remove this tissue. This is best done when she is in heat.
2. I don't like to suggest that your vet made a mistake, but it is possible that she really did have two ovaries and one was missed. It might have been very small but it is now producing the same hormones as #1.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How concerned should I be over this? When the vet did her surgery she made a larger incision to look for the other side and did not find it, but made the comment to me if Char ever had any issues later in life to mention her surgery if I seen another vet. With what I have described to you about Char is their any other possabilities of some other problem? My husband is very upset over this and doesn't believe if that is what is wrong with her he should have to pay for another surgery. In your opinion if this was what is wrong would reccomend surgery? Is it necessary to put her through another surgery?

The concern would be that she would continue to have estrus cycles which can be a risk factor for breast cancer. This is one of the reasons that we recommend that female dogs are spayed, so, yes, it would be my recommendation that she have an additional surgery. But you don't have to; not all dogs who are unspayed will develop breast cancer.
There really aren't any other explanations for mammary development and lactation.
But this doesn't necessarily mean that your vet is at fault; there is no way to predict if extra ovarian tissue will be present in a female. This just happens sometimes with no good explanation as to why.
I can understand your husband's position and it would certainly be worth having a discussion about this with the vet who performed the spay. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Deb for your help I am very greatful!!

You're welcome. I can understand how distressing this must be for you and your husband, but these things do happen every so often. Deb
Hi Rhonda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Char. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Deb,
Thanks for asking she is still producing milk. Contacted our vets office and took her in for blood test and vet looked her over. We don't get back results for two to four business days. They mentioned possibly going back in but need results to move forward. Again thank you for your help
It sounds like things are progressing as expected. Thanks for taking the time to update me. Deb