How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask vetanswershere Your Own Question
vetanswershere
vetanswershere, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 24
Experience:  Licensed vet in Tx. Texas A&M University.
70622350
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
vetanswershere is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we have 13 year old white shephard: his Amylase:2804; Lipase:1057;

Customer Question

we have 13 year old white shephard: his Amylase:2804; Lipase:1057; Bun:32; Creatinine:3.7; WBC is 28.3; RBC: 5.04; HCB:10.1; Absolute Neutrophil Seg: 23206 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;BAND:1132 He's on 2 antybiotics, etc. Feeding with a spoon..., vomiting, etc. Please, tell us if he has any chance to live. (I am a nurse, so I am giving him [email protected])
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  vetanswershere replied 4 years ago.

vetanswershere : I am a licensed vet in TX. I am so sorry your baby is in distress. You do have a chance but you need to get him to the ANIMAL ER ASAP. Yes he is in bad shape but I wouldn't give up until a diagnosis was determined. X-rays and ultrasound would be good to check. Also I would run a pancreatitis test, which the ER will have. I don't want this to sound bad but speaking for all dogs out there, only a vet can determine a fluid rate for your dog. I have had three cases where nurses and a MD decided to run fluids on their own pets. Two out of three died from drowning and the other one had to go to Texas A&M for ER treatment. So I strongly recommend that you let the vets handle Iv fluid administration. They would also be able to give better antibiotics IV. I think you should get a diagnosis before giving up, but you know him best. When you look him in the eye the bond that you have will prevail and he will let you know if he wants to go on or not. Only you can tell this because you know him best. I know this is hard and I know that you are doing the best you can with him but I would get a referral to a specialist from your vet or if you are near a specialty clinic, find out if they have 24/7 care. Best wishes and many good thoughts to you and Klondike. -Dr. B. ps if you want more specific info just ask and I will reply
JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

He's under Vet's care, and supervision..., ALL the antybiotics are Rx from our vet. Also our vet Rx 500 cc IV; since I am a nurse...I can do all of this @ home.

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

I save my dogs life from leptospirosis 3 years ago (while he was in Dallas)..., now looks like everything is going badly. Help!

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

Klondike lives now with us in San Diego.

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

What?...this is what I get from specialist..., I feel like feeding him with the spoon..., and the IV..., and ALL the Rx...are NOT doing anything for hi, this time.

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

*** Please check his blood work, and tell me if he has a chance. I see a very hight numbers...???

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

Amylase:2804; Lipase:1057; Bun:32; Creatinine:3.7; WBC is 28.3; RBC: 5.04; HCB:10.1; Absolute Neutrophil Seg: 23206

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

looks to me like these numbers are very high..., we have him as a family member for the last 11 yrs., but I don't want him to have pain!

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

I spent over 1K (San Diego)..., and I can't spend any more money; or we both will be homeless in San Diego.

JACUSTOMER-44da3sca- :

Well..., I am sorry, but I did NOT learn anything new from you. :(

vetanswershere : Well I'm so sorry. I thought
vetanswershere : I thought you wanted to know if you should stop treatment. Yes the blood work looks bad. I can't see him how is he holding up? I am not a specialist nor have I claimed to be. I am a general practitioner. Has Klondike seen a specialist or a general practitioner? I will send this response but I am sending more to follow.
vetanswershere : In Texas it is not legal for vets to send home IV fluids. So I am sorry about that miscommunication. Klondike could have pancreatitis and this can be only pancreatitis or it may be with pancreatic abscess. So, surgical intervention may be needed. That's why I recommended ultrasound.
vetanswershere : Klondike is also suffering from elevated renal values, so he's probably uremic which is causing the vomiting and or nausea. Now, the renal values may be high because of another disease going on like pancreatitis. Either way he needs intensive fluid therapy to see if we can get those down.
vetanswershere : Now, there is also a significant leukocytosis so that supports a tentative diagnosis of pancreatic abscess which they can recover from most of the time with surgery. But he is geriatric And look, I can't examine him and give an exact diagnosis since I cannot see him. My initial response was geared toward safety and I thought you were asking for someone to tell you if it is worth fighting for. Regarding this decision I commented on earlier and that still stands. I don't know if your vet accepts care credit but if he does maybe you could qualify for that to help defer some of the cost.
vetanswershere : Again my sincerest apologies about the fluids. And a question for you, when you said you don't want him to have pain are you asking me if he should be put to sleep? If so I will not answer such a multifactorial question over the Internet!

Related Veterinary Questions