Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog is 80lb Collie/Shepherd mix whose left front leg joint

My dog is 80lb Collie/Shepherd mix whose left front leg joint just above the paw swelled up in a large bump. It is about the sive of a silver dollar and came on fairly suddenly today. Any ideas>
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, the deposit you have placed is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please remember, that when you are asked to provide a rating, it is a rating of my answer, and not the website itself. I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Very concerning.
One consideration would be a hypersensitivity reaction for acute swelling. So, a insect bite or sting.

However, the area of swelling is in the carpus. This can happen with hyperextension injuries and tearing of a tendon/ligament. Fractures! Absolutely, a fracture can cause acute swelling to this severity.

Even if not limping. Even if no distress. A soft tissue injury or fracture are still considerations.

But, we can't rule-out the reaction!

So, giving some benadryl would be wise, but definitely, this is well worth a more immediate evaluation by a vet. Tonight!

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Hope that info helps
Please remember to select a feedback rating before you leave.
Good Luck

Please remember to leave a feedback rating before you leave or close the window. Providing a rating is the only way for an expert to receive credit from Justanswer for their time. Bonuses are also greatly welcomed if the answer is helpful.

You may also select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need more information BEFORE RATING. I would be happy to try and be of the greatest assistance possible before you provide a rating.

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. Any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian. While information may be discussed, only your primary veterinarian should make the determination on therapy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try Benadryl & see vet in am. Thank you...there doesn't appear to be a bite though.

Understood Marianne.
Even a bee sting would be hard to identify, but that is why I am also concerned about a soft tissue problem in the carpus.
Good Luck. Please, remember to leave a feedback rating before you go. It is very important for my recognition at Justanswer for responding to the question. Thank you
Hi Marianne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Susie. How is everything going?