Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My Cocker spaniel has vomited about five times this morning

Customer Question

My Cocker spaniel has vomited about five times this morning , not large amounts but looks like phlegm or bile sort of frothy....
She was fine yesterday but she is quiet today , should i take her to the vet's or wait for a while see how she feels later...
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
I am sorry to hear that Caragh is feeling poorly.

Was she able to keep the water down or is she vomiting after drinking?

Could she have gotten into anything he should have (ie trash, fatty food, people food)?
Would she be the kind of dog we'd have to worry about eating toys/non-edible objects?

Is she up to date on her worming and vaccinations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is not a dog that chews or swallows toys ect , she has not had access to our food , but she's not really wanted to drink this morning just sleep.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

As Caragh is a young dog, that likely puts all sorts of things in her mouth and challenges her naïve immune system, we can see vomiting for a number of reasons. The most common reasons for a dog her age to vomit are dietary indiscretion (eating something she shouldn’t have), ingestion of a foreign body (ie toys, bones, trash, etc.), viral infections (ie parvo, distemper, etc), toxins, intestinal parasitism, and a bacterial gastroenteritis. If she isn't a mischievous wee soul, then hopefully we can put worries like toxins and foreign bodies (which we' d want to address as soon as possible) lower on our list of concerns.

So, if we can put those concerns lower on our list, then you can try and settle her stomach at home. First, you can try to settle her stomach by resting it by withholding food for 8-12 hours.She should have access to water at all times, but in small amounts since over drinking can induce vomiting as well. (f she does have a reasonable amount of water and cannot keep that down, then we'd have to consider having her seen sooner so that she can be treated with anti-vomiting/sickness medication.)

If you haven’t seen further vomiting by that point, then I would advise giving him a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken with rice, boiled white fish and pasta scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese with rice. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity).

You want to offer a small amount (1 tbsp) and if she keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the vomiting is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

If you are concerned that she is become dehydrated, then you do want to check her hydration. When checking a pet's hydration status, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether the pet has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE.

If her vomiting has settled at this point, you can can offer or even syringe feed her pedialyte. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48 milliliters per kilogram of body weight per day. This value will give you the total she needs for the day (though doesn’t take into account vomiting losses) and is a good starting point to give you an idea of her daily requirement. If she vomits you given pedialyte, I would discontinue this as a therapy. (since we don’t want her vomiting more because of our intervention). As well, if her vomiting hasn't settled, then syringing won't be an option without anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

As well, you can consider addressing nausea as it will likely be the cause of her vomiting. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (LINK) or Zantac (LINK). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset gut signs.

If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 24 hours (especially as she a younger with little body reserve) or she cannot keep water down, then I would advise following up with her vet so that they can address possible causes of vomiting. Sometimes we find that animals with vomiting bugs will require medications by injection, if they are too poorly to keep anything down. Often with antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication, we will find that we can settle their stomachs and help them get back to feeling like themselves.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is always appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Janet,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Caragh. How is everything going?

nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Caragh is fine now , thank you for your help , she was poorly for two day's but followed your advise & pleased to say she is back to her usual bouncy self...

Yours sincerely Mrs Janet Colfer.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update.
I am glad to hear that Caragh's tum has settled and that she is back to her normal bouncy self. Keep up the good work.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

All the best,
Dr. B.