Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery

My dog is currently fighting parvo. She is 7 weeks she keeps

Customer Question

My dog is currently fighting parvo. She is 7 weeks she keeps moaning. Today is her fifth day fighting this battle, she stopped vomiting and her poop is a greenish looking fluid.. Is she improving? And is the moaning normal?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve. Has she been to the vet for this and what medicines is she taking now?

JACUSTOMER-lq7l2x0j- : She has. She is taking metro loperamide. As well as an IV.
Dr. Steven Osborne :

The moaning may be due to pain from the irritated from the diarrhea in the intestines. THis is a common event with parvo. Your vet can get pain medicines for you to help make her feel better.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HOw is her appetite?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If her appetite and activity level have slowly improved, then it would seem that she is getting better a little at a time and as long as the stools slowly improve, she doesn't start the vomiting again and she acts better, then she is likely on the road to a recovery.

JACUSTOMER-lq7l2x0j- : She is still on liquids.. Has not developed much of an appetite.
Dr. Steven Osborne :

ok, then continue as your vet has instructed. THe next positive sign would be starting to eat regular food and once this occurs, she should be getting close to being healed.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Parvo has to run its course and the treatment is aimed at keeping the puppy hydrated and replacing teh electrolytes it is losing in the diarrhea. The longer a puppy makes it with parvo, the better the chances of her surviving. The fact that she has had it for 5 days is actually encouraging. I hope this ha shelped. If it has would you please click the submit button so i may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. I will check later to see if you have more questions.