Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My chinchillas has dry flaky skin on her ears, and I just noticed

My chinchillas has dry flaky skin on her ears, and I just noticed that she has rough skin on her side. Should I take her to a vet? She seems healthy besides that, she is very active.

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is she itchy on the areas of flakiness or rough skin?
Does the skin have scabs, our sores?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr. Dan,
It looks like psoriasis. I don't see any sores, just scaly.

Thanks for the information: does it look more like picture #1 or #2?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks more like picture #1. It is not nearly as bad a picture #2. However it is around the edges of her ear, and the top. I also feel a rough patch on her side.
Thanks for the information what you are seeing are normal fluctuations in the skin. It is common for the skin itself (hairless portions) to cycle through soft and supple and then to rough and dry/scaly looking. If it starts to look more like picture number two or any areas of the body that have hair start losing hair... then that is a reason to see the vet otherwise what you are describing to me sounds fairly normal for a chinchilla especially a growing/changing chinchilla.

Dr. Dan
Hi Donna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snowball. How is everything going?

Doctor Dan