My 70 lb Golden just ate 15mg of Ambien. What should I do?
Type of Animal: Golden
Name of Animal: Stella
nothing. Just watching her
Hi, I hope I can help with your question and do message me if you have any queries regarding my answer/advice.I suspect Stella is going to be fine. Ideally with potential ingestion of toxins (especially when just happened) vomiting should be initiated to remove the drug from the system. At home this can be difficult to achieve but 3% hydrogen peroxide can be used using approx 30-60mls given to Stella orally, it should be repeated ONCE if no success is achieved with the first dose.Zolpidem (Ambien) at this dose is unlikely to produce any adverse effects but could cause her to vomit, appear sedated or cause wobbliness. Given its lack of use in dogs it is sensible to watch her carefully, especially if you are unable to make Stella vomit.If you are unable to make her vomit and/or you are concenred she is behaving normally then I would seek veterinary attention as they will have more potent ways of making her sick. There is a time limit for vomiting being a worthwhile way of decontaminating toxin ingestion, so if you have any doubts at all then get her seen. I always recommend to clients that it is never a waste of time or money getting an animal checked following ingestion of a drug or toxin, the worst that can happen is time and money are perceived to be wasted. If attention isn't sought then the worst case scenario is a lot worse.I hope this answer is helpful and that Stella is OK.Let me know if you have any further queriesGood luck and best wishesDr Dan Makin
Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon
Well, I have missed my window to make her vomit. She ate it about 2 hours ago. She seems fine and is sleeping which is normal for her this time of day. The effects of Ambien for ME last about 6 hrs so I hope by then I don't need to worry anymore. I am a health care professional so I can observe her more objectively than if I weren't.
I am pleased she is doing fine, it is good she is a large dogs as this will lessen the dose consumed.I am sure she is going to be just fine.Enjoy your weekendTake careDan