Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has a open sore on her leg. Not sure how to treat the

My dog has a open sore on her leg. Not sure how to treat the area. I have applied ointment and wound spray. I covered the area, because the fleas are so bad this year I don't want infection to set in. Do you have any suggestions on what else to do. She has had this over a month. It doesn't seem to be getting any better. Thank You
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Is she licking the sore?
2- Does she have fleas?
3- What is the name of the ointment and wound spray?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she us licking the sore . She has some fleas but not much. She is being treated for fleas. We are using Cut and Heal wound spray for dogs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
What are you using for the fleas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vectra 3D
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The sore that you are describing is what we call an "acral lick granuloma." This is an area of localized infection made worst by excessive licking. The fact this is ongoing for 1 month the tissue may have thickened (hyperplasia) as a result of the chronic insult. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or it is not going to get better. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. Best of you leave wound open and not covered.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap. Wash affected area with this soap 2-3 times a day. Then, flush with plenty of plain water.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.
4- For fleas, try the following combination:
a) Frontline (petarmor generic) once every 4 weeks for no less than 4 months or all year around if warm all year.
b) Capstar once every other day for 2 weeks.
c) Make sure to treat all dogs, vacuum premises and wash all bedding.
5- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.