Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Heartworm med and frontline were due on July 1st for my 8mo

Heartworm med and frontline were due on July 1st for my 8mo lab pup, he just came home from vet Monday after contracting full blown Parvo . Can I give him the HW med late since he's still on small meals, but put FL on him now for fleas or should I just wait longer? He has just started eating regularly in the past 2 days but still on metronidazole.
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

It is not a problem, at all, to wait a few extra days...even a few weeks...on giving the flea control or heartworm preventative. Not concerned at all.

Certainly, contact your vet to confirm they are okay with this plan. But, heartworm disease does not suddenly get acquired because you are delayed a few weeks on preventative. Some flea control products, even if they have been applied before, can cause reaction. So, worth waiting a bit to ensure fully recovered.

Good Luck

Please remember to leave feedback by selecting a SMILEY FACE followed by “Submit”. If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.
This is necessary, so I may receive credit from the website for my response, even if you are a subscribing member. Receiving bonuses is also greatly welcomed.

This is meant to be a chat, and for this reason, it is very important that you respond using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed BEFORE rating. Only rate my answer when you are finished replying. IF you feel the need to rate "bad" or "poor", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I would be happy to continue assisting further, and do everything I can to be of the greatest assistance.

After we conclude this chat, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile. Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites at: Dr. Andy

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. Any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much! He's been current since 6 wks on HW prev and frontline so at least I know it's okay to wait awhile. Will just check with our vet about flea control while he's recovering....sure don't want to poison his system further or compromise recovery in any way. Have a great week!