Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog is 13 1/2 weeks old and very healthy. He is a male doberman

My dog is 13 1/2 weeks old and very healthy. He is a male doberman and weighs 27 lbs. He just had his last set of shots on July 1st, and today I finally took him to the park for a walk where he may have been exposed to a friends puppy that we just now found out has Parvo. This friends puppy had just received his 2nd set of shots a few days ago and received them from the owner and not a licensed Veterinarian. My dog and her dog did play and play bite etc. What are the chances that my dog will become infected?
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

That's disappointing. Well, it depends on how infective the puppy was when it was at the park. If really sick, I doubt the pet would have been very playful. But, a dog can shed this virus for several days even after they are recovering from infection.

It is transmitted by a fecal route. So, play biting or licking another pet can transmit the virus.

There are no statistics as to whether your pet can get infected. If I had to guess I would say may be 20-30% risk.

So, if your pet was to develop any vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or just one of those symptoms, get into the vet.

Unfortunately, having received 1 or 2 vaccine boosters does not guarantee not getting infected.

Good Luck

Please reply ANY time more information is needed using the REPLY TO EXPERT button.

Please remember to leave feedback by selecting a SMILEY FACE followed by “Submit”
This is necessary, so I may receive credit from the website for my response, even if you are a subscribing member.

Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "bad" or "poor", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I would be happy to continue assisting further, and do everything I can to be of the greatest assistance.

REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. Any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy