I have a 12 Lab suffering from CPML (German Shepard suffer in their back legs). He's had robenacoxib (Pain killer) for the last few months for this artistis. In the last week I had to change his routine, instead of having his pain killer in the afternoon, I had to move it to the morning. He has been vomiting up everything he eats since Friday (The change of routine was made a week before he started vomiting) Have tried him on Chicken and Rice, and Scrambled eggs by the outcome is the same. He last had a bowl movement on Saturday morning but nothing since. Even though he hasn't been given any food in the last 24 hrs He is still throwing up bile (Yellow stuff).My question really is what should I do? What could be wrong with him? Could it be fixed by an small thing like an injection of a pill? Or could it be bowl obstruction - He's terrified of the vets practice and putting him throw an operation, only to die on the table, or is it kinder to out him down at home? He has always been terrified of the vet practice, and so if this is the end I'd like him to be at home where she's happy and relaxed.Sorry for this long question, I'd just like some advice before talking to my own vet.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!1) How often is he vomiting?2) Multiple times per day? With each meal?3) Are the stools normal?4) Is there weight loss?5) When was the last time bloodwork was performed?-
1) He last vomited this morning, twice. - two small bits of bile, other than that nothing.
The history would be more supportive of a digestive disturbance and stomach upset.For cases such as this - often we remove food for 24 hours, then do a trial run - meaning to attempt a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days to see if the signs resolve - and if so, consider another diet.It is important to remove food during this time, as continued offering of food - even if just a bland diet - often leads to continued vomiting.Moreover - rather than large meals - you might wish to start feeding smaller meals more often, which will not lead to the full belly and therefore the hope for improved comfort.Regarding stomach upset, Pepcid A/C (Famotidine) is also a consideration - dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspxThis can be given 30 minutes before a meal.If the signs do continue, notably vomiting - then the next step is often an examination and common tests such as bloodwork and x-rays making certain there is not a more systemic cause, and notably to make sure there is not a blockage.I hope this information is helpful!This is meant to be a running dialogue, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.Positive RATING (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
Hi Gemma,I'm just following up on our conversation about Tarn. How is everything going?CriticalCareVet
After getting your advice I took him to the vet. He had X-Rays and Blood tests down, which didn't show anything conclusive, so I took him home.