Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my dog is 9 weeks old and is really lethargic and drooling

my dog is 9 weeks old and is really lethargic and drooling at the mouth does not want to eat or drink plz help

Drew :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

A young puppy, who is lethargic and drooling, may be hypoglycemic (has low blood sugar). This is common in young puppies, especially if the pup's appetite hasn't been good.

Drew :

you can try to rub some corn syrup or honey on the gums and tongue, to see if Bullet perks up at all.

Drew :

there may be underlying issues such as parvo virus, or distemper virus, which could contribute to this situation.

Drew :

therefore, if Bullet doesn't seem to perk up and eat and drink, within 1 hour, you will need to have him examined by a veterinarian.

Drew :

this situation may be life threatening, so it is important to not delay, if bullet's situation doesn't rapidly improve.

Customer:

he has now started to make a grunting noise now and again

Drew :

grunting may be a sign of discomfort, or difficulty breathing. either situation warrants concern.

Customer:

is there anything else i can try as dont have corn syrup or honey

Drew :

pancake syrup

Drew :

that's about all... otherwise you need to seek veterinary care, or Bullet's life may be in danger.

Customer:

im gonna ring the vets now thanks for your help

Drew :

you're very welcome - I wish you and Bullet all the best.

Customer: